Today is the Sunday of St John of the Ladder. As has become my practice over the past few Sundays of Lent, I will keep my own chattering to a minimum, offering you instead a variety of links to valuable resources:
- St John of the Ladder: Very valuable extended passages from The Ladder of Divine Ascent on the themes of vainglory, pride, and humility.
- St John of the Ladder: Excerpts from steps one to six of The Ladder can be found here; from seven to twelve here; from thirteen to eighteen here; from nineteen to twenty-four here; from twenty-five to twenty-six here; and from twenty-seven to thirty here.
- St John of the Ladder: short excerpts from The Ladder (in this translation called "The Stairway to Paradise," not by any means to be confused with a certain popular song). More excerpts here.
- Metropolitan Philaret of New York: Excerpt from a sermon on St John.
- An excellent short essay on The Ladder from Orthodox Tradition.
- Deacon Matthew Steenberg, John Klimakos: On Repentance That Leads to Joy.
- An overview of The Ladder and a brief explanation of the icon inspired by it, from Orthodoxwiki.org.
The above icon is the work of Brian Nikolai Tsai, painted for his Godson Ian in 2004.