Sunday, April 26, 2009

An Historical Query

Reading this account of the history of Orthodox Christianity in North America, I came across the following line about St Innocent (Veniaminov):
While in Spanish California, Veniaminov visited the Franciscan missions along the coast, conversing with the Spanish monks in Latin. In a rare gesture of ecumenical goodwill for the time, Veniaminov even built small pipe organs for at least two of the Catholic missions.
This raises the following inevitable question: Was St Innocent the first Orthodox organ donor?

10 comments:

Esteban Vázquez said...

TRULY groan-worthy! I commend you. ;-)

Aaron Taylor said...

Wah, wah, wah...

Athanasia said...

LOL!!

Anonymous said...

BUH DOOMP, TSSSSSS!

Macrina Walker said...

I thought that bishops were supposed to correct errors. She sighs.

I don't suppose your monastery would be interested in being giving an organ, just to reciprocate, and to get rid of ours :-).

Felix Culpa said...

I'm afraid I'll have to turn down your offer of an organ transplant, Sr Macrina.

Visibilium said...

I wondered where Greek churches got the organs.

Anonymous said...

Is the author of this blog a monk at a monastery?
If so, might I ask which monastery he is attached to?

Felix Culpa said...

You might certainly ask, but I'm afraid I'm not going to reply to either question. I keep this blog anonymous so as not to embarrass anyone around me with my foolishness.

Anonymous said...

I understand entirely.