Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An Introduction to Solzhenitsyn

I hope readers will excuse the following slight departure from regular Lenten programming. Those who have been following this web log for some time will know both of my profound veneration for the late Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn (+2008) and of my great respect for the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI) (of which I am a humble member). I received an email today from ISI advertising a great deal: two books I have previously plugged on this site – The Solzhenitsyn Reader: New and Essential Writings, 1947-2005 and The Soul and Barbed Wire: An Introduction to Solzhenitsyn (with a copy of From Under the Rubble thrown in for good measure) – can be purchased together (online only) for the grand total of twenty bucks. To recall an advertising slogan from my youth: Just do it! Purchase them here. While you're at it, please do visit my previous posts about Solzhenitsyn:
May his memory be eternal!

5 comments:

G Sanchez said...

I have a hardcover copy of the Solzhenitsyn Reader and it was well worth the investment. I suspect many people (myself included) are a bit overwhelmed by where to dive into the man's corpus of writings given their breadth and depth. While I normally don't care for anthologies (and apparently neither did Solzhenitsyn), his writing almost demands an exception to the rule. I was pleased that the volume included the first (partial) English translation of Two Hundred Years Together, a work I hope will finally make its way into full translation at some point in the future.

Anonymous said...

Memory eternal! Solzhenitsyn is one of the greats of the 20th century.

Matthew said...

Thank you so much for posting about this deal. I took your advice and bought it, and received the books a couple weeks ago. I had looked at those books in the library, but only read portions. I would have paid 20 dollars for Under the Rubble alone.

As an added bonus, I discovered Intercollegiate Studies Institute, which I had never heard of before. It was kind of a Eureka moment for me: there are many intelligent people out there able to articulate so well what I have vaguely sensed and felt for a long time but haven't been able to articulate.

Thank you again. Christ is Risen!

Matthew

Felix Culpa said...

Truly He is Risen!

I'm so glad! If you're in any way associated with an educational institution there are some very good periodicals published by ISI you can get for free.

Also check out their First Principles website,and especially their online Short Courses:

http://www.firstprinciplesjournal.com/

Matthew said...

Thanks! I'll try out that those Short Courses.