Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Children and the Kingdom





And they brought unto Him also infants, that He would touch them: but when His disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.
(Lk 18: 15-17)

The icon at the top depicts Christ blessing the children. The photographs are of the great theologian and Abba, Archimandrite Justin (Popvic), who received the Kingdom of God as a little child.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Someone told me about St. Justin's dogmatic works being in French and Serbian... we need some translating done!


Where do you get all these delightful pictures!?

Felix Culpa said...

Fr Justin's dogmatic theology is in three volumes in Serbian; the French translation is in five volumes. I've heard that parts have been translated into Russian, but I've never seen it. I hear rumors about an English translation now and then, but haven't been able to confirm these rumors. I'd do it myself, but my Serbian isn't good -- I can only understand it to the extent that it resembles Russian.

The very best book by Fr Justin in English is "The Orthodox Church and Ecumenism," which has many of his best essays. It's translated directly from the original Serbian. A number of other works translated into English are actually from the Greek version, meaning that they're translations of translations.

As for the pictures: Google images! It helps if you can search using the keyword in a couple of different languages. A couple of the photos (e.g., Fr Sophrony and Met Hierothos) were sent to me.

Anonymous said...

i think that elder Justin is the voice of the consiousness of the Orthodox Church.
he was a an ascete,a confessor,a father of Church.
dyring this era of confusion when the panheresy of ecumenism attacks the Church from inside elder Justin's teachings and writings are invaluable.

Felix Culpa said...

I couldn't agree more!